No, XBuild inst another buildsystem. It is only the solution to compile
Visual Studio 2005 projects (csproj,sln) on mono.

To quote Miguel de Icaza (Project manager Mono):
   XBuild: the open source msbuild implementation for assisting you in
  rebuilding your new projects on Mono.

And here is the Blog from XBuild developer:
   http://www.planetsoc.com/blog/32

My problem with using msbuild directly is the folowing:
* You develop a huge project in Visual Studio 2005 ( a server )
* You using nant to compile the project on CruiseControl and execute
msbuild to compile the VS2005 solution
* And then you whant to compile that project on mono but also develop it
with VS2005

Steve Wagner