       A - I N F O S  N E W S  S E R V I C E
             http://www.ainfos.ca/

VALPARAISO, Chile, May 22 (AFP) - Chilean police detained 180
protesters outside the congressional building here while President
Eduardo Frei delivered his annual address to lawmakers, witnesses
said Saturday.
    Police confronted some 1,000 rowdy protesters in this port city
some 110 kilometers (68 miles) west of Santiago, using clubs, tear
gas and water hoses.
    One policeman was seriously injured while hundreds of protesters
were beaten or suffered after inhaling tear gas, reporters on the
scene said.
    The unrest started two hours before the two-hour presidential
address Friday, and continued until Frei had left the congressional
building.
    College students, dock workers and indigenous groups shouted
anti-government slogans, set up roadblocks and threw stones at
police.
    Students called for more federal grants and scholarships while
dock workers asked to be compensated for the loss of revenue
resulting from privatization.
    Indian protesters, meanwhile, demanded the return of Mapuche
lands taken over by lumber companies in the country's south.
    Inside the legislative building, fist fights and shoving matches
broke out between lawmakers when Frei said he would continue to work
to free former dictator Augusto Pinochet.
    Pinochet, who is under house arrest in London faces extradition
to Spain to answer charges for human rights crimes committed during
his 1973-1990 regime.
Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html