Posted by [EMAIL PROTECTED] :

[EMAIL PROTECTED] replies:
San Antonio Express News
Thursday, November 25, 1999

Long trek for bones is ended
Reburial begins today at Mission San Juan

By Joseph Barrios
Express-News Staff Writer

Human remains that date to the 1700s are to be reburied starting today
in a ceremony at Mission San Juan after a final legal challenge to the
ritual was rejected in federal court.

The remains of more than 90 people were excavated from the mission in
the late 1960s by archaeologists from the University of Texas at San
Antonio. Most are believed to be Coahuiltecans, members of South Texas
Indian groups who helped build the mission, which was started in the
18th century by Spanish priests.

The American Indians in Texas-At the Spanish Colonial Missions, a
nonprofit group whose members claim to be descended from the
Coahuiltecans, have sought the return of the bones for several years.

"Our mood is peaceful," said Ramon Vasquez, a member of the group. "It's
long overdue."

He added, "We believe our families have been desecrated and they'll be
given dignity and respect as they're being reinterred."

Vasquez said the remains were returned this month in pieces and shards
in about 110 cardboard boxes of different sizes. Getting the remains
returned has not been easy for the group.

In 1997, the American Indians in Texas filed a claim with the Bureau of
Indian Affairs seeking the return of the bones, which have been used in
museum displays and in scientific studies over the past 30 years.

According to an agreement with the Texas Historical Commission, UTSA and
the Archdiocese of San Antonio, the remains have to be reburied by the
end of this year.

This week, another Indian group tried to halt the ceremony by asking for
a temporary restraining order in federal court.

The request was filed by Joe Ricky Mendoza and the Pamaque Band of the
San Juan Mission Indians, who claim their ancestors were buried at the
mission.

Arthur Vega, Mendoza's attorney, said the method of reburial would be
disrespectful. The request states the remains will be wrapped in red
cloth and buried together in a shallow grave.

"He wants his ancestors reburied as they were buried many, many years
ago with the proper rituals and respects of the Native Americans and not
as they plan to do it," Vega said.

U.S. District Judge H.F. "Hippo" Garcia granted the restraining order on
Tuesday and dissolved it on Wednesday. Garcia could not be reached for
comment.

Thomas Drought, attorney for the archdiocese who asked the judge to
dissolve the restraining order, would not comment on the proceedings.

Father Balthasar Janecek, the liaison between the mission parishes, said
"anybody can get a restraining order" and that he was glad the ceremony
can take place.

"I think it's something we've all looked forward to accomplish, to be
able to give those spirits a chance to rest," Janecek said.

Vasquez's group, which is coordinating the ceremonies, would not release
details about the burial.

"We're not at liberty to talk about the process other than that we're
doing it in the most respectful way we can," he said. "It's the only
thing we can do for these remains and just provide them with the dignity
they deserve after so many years of destruction."'

Vasquez said the burial ceremony that begins at sunset is open only to
neighbors and those who are descendants of Mission Indians.

He said the remains will be buried near unfinished church foundation
walls on the east side of the mission compound.

A public Mass in honor of the reburial is scheduled for 10:30 a.m.
Saturday at Mission San Juan.