> It looks like ufraw creates empty JPEG file when conversion begins and
> it takes some time while data are finally written. In the meantime
> nautilus fails to thumbnail an empty file, so generic image filetype
> icon is assigned.
>
> Also enfuse works this way - it creates empty JPEG file first and starts
> writing output data later (20 seconds during my simple test, but of
> course even later depending on the workload).
>
> I wonder what is the proper solution?

Sounds like a bug...

Check out libnautilus-private/nautilus-thumbnails.c. Perhaps you could
compile it with DEBUG_THUMBNAILS set and see what debugging messages occur.

Nautilus is supposed to check the file mtime and delay thumbnailing if
the mtime is within the last 3 seconds (THUMBNAIL_CREATION_DELAY_SECS).

It should also notice if the file mtime has changed, and re-thumbnail in
that case.

Does gThumb 2.10.8 properly thumbnail your images if you have gthumb
open viewing that folder while the file is changing?

- Mike