PS:

I didn't reboot. Do I need to in order for the new settings to take
effect?

I found several dconf files but it doesn't look like they contain any
lock of org.gnome.nautilus.preferences.show-image-thumbnails  and
adding
[org.gnome.nautilus.preferences]
show-image-thumbnails="never"

to them didn't help either. Here are they:

/var/lib/gdm3/.cache/dconf
/var/lib/gdm3/.cache/dconf/user
/var/lib/gdm3/dconf/db
/var/lib/gdm3/dconf/profile
/var/lib/gdm3/dconf/db/gdm
/var/lib/gdm3/dconf/db/gdm.d
/var/lib/gdm3/dconf/db/gdm.d/00-upstream-settings
/var/lib/gdm3/dconf/db/gdm.d/10-desktop-base-settings
/var/lib/gdm3/dconf/db/gdm.d/90-debian-settings
/var/lib/gdm3/dconf/db/gdm.d/locks
/var/lib/gdm3/dconf/db/gdm.d/locks/00-upstream-settings-locks
/var/lib/gdm3/dconf/profile/gdm

and

/usr/share/gdm/dconf
/usr/share/gdm/dconf-profile
/usr/share/gdm/dconf/00-upstream-settings
/usr/share/gdm/dconf/10-desktop-base-settings
/usr/share/gdm/dconf/locks
/usr/share/gdm/dconf/locks/00-upstream-settings-locks

Any ideas?

Thank you,
ST