Hi Zoran,

I've spend the weekend compiling and re-compiling the kernel and
different versions of gcc/glib on two machines (with different
CFLAGS/CHOST settings).

NS "make test" worked only once on one of the two machines (with CHOST
set to "i386-pc-linux-gnu" - GCC 4.2 no longer supports that). The rest
of the time it was just hanging on the first test (adp.test).

> For me, the Tcl-trace or ns_ictl trace are the way to go.
> Looking at those two, the latter is more appealing since of the
> simplicity, but it may hit us hard speedwise. OTOH, the former
> is faster and uses far less resources but is pretty complex in
> implementation (this might be done simpler, yes, yet it is always
> going to be more complex than ns_ictl trace).
>
> Now, what you all think? Should we do something there or should
> we just stay with the old AS introspective script?

I'm all for Tcl-trace and ns_ictl trace but I gather it would take a
considerable amount of time to prepare and test those scripts. Please
feel free to let me know what I can do to help --- I'm a bit short on
time this month but things should get better after September 8 - getting
married :).

IMHO, I would prefer mostly a quick migration path from AS (i.e. the old
AS introspective script). I have already ported/adapted my code to play
nicely with most important changes introduced recently in NS but I'm not
quite confident to work with the modified init.tcl from 4.99.1. This is
due to the fact that scheduled threads are no longer triggered after
init (they seem to be queued successfully but no -sched- thread is created).

Best wishes,
Neophytos