Am 06.08.2007 um 14:10 schrieb Gustaf Neumann:

> however, concerning getting openacs to work on naviserver,
> i would prefer having support for some time the good old blueprint
> way.

I understand. So the idea is to:

   a. keep the introspective loader
   b. design some "package loader" for AS similar to Tcl [package
require]

For the b. this works even now.  All you need to do is to
say "package require XYZ" in some library script and this
will do the right thing. Provided the extension is pure
Tcl OR it is thread-safe. So we need not design anything
new. Just install Tcl package and use it from NS as you
would from Tcl shell.

Well, almost...

The exception is Xotcl (and perhaps some other extensions
that I'm not aware of) that do tricks with namespace
client-data and some other nitty-gritty Tcl internals
that Tcl itself does not know how to "clone".

The problem is how to "persuade" a generic introspective
loader that attempts to clone the "xotcl" namespace
not to do that? Or, how to tell it to introscpect something
that it does not know about? It "knows" about packages, procs,
variables etc (well-known Tcl "things") but it does not
"know" about any other data structures provided by extensions.

Now, speaking of Xotcl...
The older versions of init.tcl script contained a hack for
it. Being considered a hack, I just left it out, with the
hope to ditch that altogether in favour of a ns_ictl trace
or Trace (lazyloader) as I'm still convinced that those are
better (faster, simpler, more generic).

Now, that popular demand is gearing towards "keep the a."
we must think of how to parametrize the introspective loader
so it can be "told" what to do and what not to do in certain
cases. Right? I believe this will eventually lead to the same
result as Ttrace, as I already followed that path some time
ago, but I will let all you bright people think that over.
Perhaps there is an elegant way I'm not aware of ;-)

Cheers,
Zoran