On 18.12.2006, at 19:57, Stephen Deasey wrote:

Are you saying you tested your app on Linux with native malloc and
experienced no fragmentation/bloating?

No. I have seen bloating but less then on zippy. I saw some
bloating and fragmentation on all optimizing allocators I
have tested.

I think some people are experiencing fragmentation problems with
ptmalloc -- the Squid and OpenLDAP guys, for example.  There's also
the malloc-in-one-thread, free-in-another problem, which if your
threads don't exit is basically a leak.

Really a leak? Why? Wouln't that depend on the implementation?

Doesn't zippy also clear it's per-thread cache on exit?

No. It showels all the rest to shared pool. The shared
pool is never freed. Hence lots of bloating.

Actually, did you experiment with exiting the conn threads after X
requests? Seems to be one of the things AOL is recommending.

Most of our threads are Tcl threads, not conn threads. We create
them to do lots of different tasks. They are all rather short-lived.
Still, the mem footprint grows and grows...

One thing I wonder about this is, how do requests average out across
all threads? If you set the conn threads to exit after 10,000
requests, will they all quit at roughly the same time causing an
extreme load on the server?  Also, this is only an option for conn
threads. With scheduled proc threads, job threads etc. you get
nothing.

Well, if they all start to exit at the same time, they will
serialize at the point where per-thread cache is pushed to
the shared pool.