On 19.12.2006, at 01:10, Stephen Deasey wrote:

This program allocates memory in a worker thread and frees it in the
main thread. If all free()'s put memory into a thread-local cache then
you would expect this program to bloat, but it doesn't, so I guess
it's not a problem (at least not on Fedora Core 5).

It is also not the case with nedmalloc as it specifically
tracks that usage pattern. The block being free'd "knows"
to which so-called mspace it belongs regardless which thread
free's it.

So, I'd say the nedmalloc is OK in this respect.
I have given it a purify run and it runs cleanly.
Our application is nnoticeably faster on Mac and
bloats less. But this is only a tip of the iceberg.
We yet have to give it a real stress-test on the
field, yet I'm reluctant to do this now and will
have to wait for a major release somewhere in spring
next year.