On 09.05.2008, at 17:04, Vlad Seryakov wrote:

> But Tcl still is the core language and server will always be linked to
> Tcl library. And we still have problem with Tcl initialization.

Damn, I know that! This bugs us for about 8 years _constantly_.
The cost of a fully loaded interp is outrageous.

Recently we launched internal development of the module being
able to handle 1000+ "users" (in our product-terms, workstations)
with a stock 4 GB memory off-the-shelf machine like xserve or
a Mac Pro. If we'd to make a thread-per-workstation, we'd need
1000 * at_least_10MB of virtual memory!
No go.
So I had to write all in plain C. This of course limited the
functionality as we had to drop lots of it to buy time :-(

What Tcl really lacks is a per-thread and global state.
And I see _no_way_ how this can be made... Grmpf.

I saw somewhere that Lua can have global and per-thread state
and that you can provide your own locking primitives they use
to lock their own code, but I haven't dig deeper there...
I think I will make it a weekend project.

Cheers
Zoran