> Effectively, what I need is a upside-down of the
> Tcl model: one interp any many threads.
> Don't tell me: go shop Java. This does not compute
> (for various unrelated reasons).

You can use ns_job, you define how may Tcl interp/threads you may use
and then just submit tasks, each task will get state and do the work.

I guess you already explored that.

>> and, do why do you need all separate 1000 threads for every user, is
>> the
>> requirement to be connected to all at the same time? just wondering
>
> Yes. 1000's of workstations may be connected all the time
> and over a long time. And all of them are pumping data to
> the server, mostly. Doing this in a event-loop mode is
> possible but not feasible. I must isolate everybody in a
> thread because of the potential (complex) state that each
> connection may have.

You may combine methods, like let one thread to handle several
connections sequentially if that will work but i do not have exact
details so i will stop now.