Dear all,

As our audience gets larger, i think it is important to
reiterate,
what is a common understanding in the naviserver community
(at least how i see it). While the basic attitude in the
aolserver community is backward looking (be as conservative
as possible, never change anything user-visible, even if this is
complete useless) the attitude of the naviserver community
is rather forward looking (clean up interface, improve the
way how
to handle problems, be competitive with other server
environments,
be among the best in terms of scalability, etc).
The need of doing things differently in some real-world
applications was the driver of the split of naviserver from
aolserver.

Forward-looking does certainly not mean that we do not want
to keep compatibility (we have all large code bases using
naviserver) but i would certainly hate to see e.g. the
useless $conn argument to be re-introduced in naviserver
just because some 10+ year old code expects it.

The general rule of change should be
    major-versions-are-allowed-to-break-backward-compatibility
and
    minor-versions-should-keep-backward-compatbility
where we are talking about intra-naviserver compatibility.

Not every change in the server has the same urgency
for every participant. For example Zoran has a very different
usage pattern for the server than we have, so several changes
important for us are effectively useless for him. But still,
there
is a nice long-going cooperation between the main stakeholders,
and the tradition of (although informal) code-reviews
works very well.

-gustaf neumann