On 5/30/00, Dave spencer wrote:

>An interesting question came up today regarding a fantray design and using a
>thermal shutdown to turn off power to the fans when it is presumed obvious
>that there may be a fire.  It sounds like a great idea to me.  However, it
>will be a lot easier to sell if there is a requirement somewhere to support
>it.

>Question: Does anyone know of a specific requirement to control fans in the
>event of a fire?  This can from any source, i.e. ETSI, ANSI, or Telcordia,
>etc.

     There us no requirement that I am aware of to control the fans.
     As you may be aware, some of the RBOC's such as Bell Atlantic,
     have requested criteria beyond what is asked for in GR-63.

     For example, if fans did blow out the fire, they would want to know
     what happens when there is a fire AND the fans are disabled....Not
     fair, you may say, but that's the way it goes.  The arguement there is
     suppose the fire disabled the fan control during the beginning of the
     test?

     Bottom line, I would not use a fan to blow out the flames unless you
     are confident your equipment will pass with fans off as well.  In
     which case why use a fan if your equipment does not need it?

     Eric Petitpierre
     Pulsecom
     Herndon,VA
     eric.petitpie...@pulse.com