Hi Dave,

I asked Verizon at the Las Vegas conference if they wanted a report from an independent source to support GR-78 compliance and they indicated at that time that they did not feel that was necessary.

At Curtis-Straus, we routinely put together an assembly level flame database for every complete GR-63 report we produce. The Verizon checklist says that you need to provide it if they ask for it.

Dave Wilson wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking at the Verizon NEBS requirements, which along with GR-63 and
GR-1089 call out the design guidelines in GR-78. Does GR-78 compliance have
to be assessed independently for Verizon compliance, or is manufacturer's
declaration on the NEBS checklist sufficient (section 2.8.1 would suggest
otherwise, but design guidelines are not as readily measurable as say,
environmental or EMC criteria)?

Also, has anyone out there put together a fire resistance database in
accordance with GR-63 4.3.2.1 before? Was it necessary for Verizon
compliance? Or is shelf/frame-level flame testing and needle-flame component
testing sufficient, provided the split-frame infra-red video requirements
for Verizon are met?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Wilson
Manager, Quality & Compliance
Alidian Networks, Inc.

--
Jon D. Curtis, P.E.

Director of Engineering
Curtis-Straus LLC NRTL TCB

One Stop Laboratory for NEBS, EMC, Product Safety, and Telecom Testing.
527 Great Road
Littleton, MA 01460 USA
Voice 978-486-8880  Fax 978-486-8828
email: jcur...@curtis-straus.com