For those interested, here is some information about the Classification of
air filters covered by the UL Standard UL900.

"These requirements cover tests to determine combustibility and the amount
of smoke generated for air filter units of both washable and throwaway
types used for removal of dust and other airborne particles from air
circulated mechanically in equipment and systems installed in accordance
with the Standards for Installation of Air Conditioning and Ventilating
Systems, NFPA 90A (Other Than Residence Type), and for Installation of Warm
Air Heating and Air Conditioning Systems, NFPA 90B (Residence Type)."

"Air filter units covered by this standard are classified as follows:
a)  Class 1 Units - Those that, when clean, do not contribute fuel when
attacked by flame and emit only negligible amounts of smoke.
b)  Class 2 Units - Those that, when clean, burn moderately when attacked
by flame or emit moderate amounts of smoke, or both."

I hope you find this information useful.

Randy Ivans
Underwriters Laboratories Inc.
Business Sector Coordinator
Telecommunications Industry
email: iva...@ul.com
-------------
Original Text
From: "John.E.Allen" <john.e.al...@btinternet.com>, on 5/6/98 9:54 PM:
Hi Folks

>From previous work I seem to remember that UL 900 on air filters and air
filter units may be the standard which contains "Class 2 " filters.

Can someone check this for me as I don't currently have a copy.

Regards

John Allen
Product and System Safety Manager
Racal Radio Ltd