Thanks Peter for the excellent response.  I'll take the challenge and
extend the thread.

Suppose you are network equipment, and your customer is a U.S telco or
you want to sell the product to an international telco.  Your equipment
is strictly Central Office equipment, not CPE.

Your customer requires a Listing to UL 1950 3rd Edition or EN 60950 (for
Europe).

They are also requiring the use of amp champ telco connectors like those
used on most channel banks.

  Secondly suppose that your equipment meets basic (2.0mm at 200 VDC,
Bellcore maximum for Class A3) everywhere except at the pins of an amp
champ connector.  All circuits have basic insulation (except the champ
connector) and a fault of deficient spacings at the amp champ connector
results in a fault between a 190 VDC HDSL circuit and a ISDN TNV 1
circuit.  The ISDN card TNV 1 has basic insulation to SELV and the HDSL
card has basic insulation to SELV.  Since they are in adjacent slots of
the equipment, The TNV 1 and the 190VDC HDSL cards have their tips and
rings appear on adjacent pins of the amp champ connector.  A fault of
the 190VDC HDSL onto the TNV 1 ISDN line would only appear on the
network going toward the end customer.  The ISDN customer now gets
something unexpected (i.e. 190VDC).  The telco employees are protected
as the basic insulation protects their SELV.

Is the amp champ connector required to provide basic insulation onto the
network eventhough the MDF's, splices crossconnects etc. do not provide
2.0mm of insulation?  If so what is the rational?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Wiese
ADTRAN, INC.