On 13 Sep 2010, at 13:48, GastonP wrote:

IMO, that Panaplexes for $30 each is a big investment too. They are
way nicer than my IV-4s, tho :)

I have not seen the panaplex I am using new at under $110 and they are becoming more difficult to find, but not impossible.

OK, John. If you also are into sensors, what about a range meter that
shoots a "You are at XX meters form me, and came at XX m/sec".
Now if you can add a camera and some software, what would be really
surprising would be some kind of "Nice red attire you have today".
This last perhaps could be done with only three sensors with red /
green / blue filters and average readings. You use the range meter and
the display to bait the victim to be in the right distance for the
sensors to be reasonably color accurate. "Hi... please come nearer",
"A little more" "more" "That's it" "Nice green vest" "Ugly blue
trousers".

Great ideas but I fear a little beyond my capabilities. The clothing idea reminds me of Inkha, the robot receptionist at Kings College in London. She has a wonderful range of facial expressions. She looks you up and down and is especially critical of clothing and quite rude to other women. She'll criticise men's shirts and choice of tie too. In fact she says all the kind of things you know most receptionists are thinking but don't actually say.

http://www.sallywhoosh.btinternet.co.uk/ImagesStillsInkha1.htm

I am not sure if Inkha is still in the reception area of Kings, but she's well worth a chat to and very realistic.

I guess any degree of real intelligence will mean sensors. For this version I am going to be restricted to passive text-based things and animations.

Thanks for the input - good ideas.

John S