> I just received my two tubes today ...
> current from 20 mA up to 40 mA.  At all current levels ...
> stayed at about 70 VAC.

Well there goes the idea of it having an internal series resistor. If
it had, the voltage would have shifted. I think Charles is right, and
this tube is intended as a voltage regulator, a opposed to making a
pretty glow. If that's the case, then its working as intended. Voltage
regulator tubes, of this size range, usually have a max current rating
~40mA. See 0A3:

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/127/0/0A3.pdf

But those usually have more cathode surface, so I suspect the real max
current rating is something less. Maybe as little as 10mA, for long
durations. If its a solid 70V over the current range, then that's
pretty good. A 0A3, usually varies ~5V over its operating current
range.