From: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com [mailto:neonixi...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Jens Boos
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 1:24 PM
To: neonixie-l
Subject: [neonixie-l] OT: new PIC Programmer

Hello folks,

well, I have had it with my crappy Velleman PIC "programmer" board. It
is just not working reliable anymore. It is a RS232 connected board
with some DIP sockets mounted on top, and it is supplied with a rather
crappy programming software. Anyway, it has been saying "No Device ID
received!" so much today that I am considering tossing it into the
trash.

But what is a suitable alternative? I think the PicStart Plus might be
something reasonable. It is no third party product, it nicely fits
into MPLAB, the only problem is the serial RS232 interface. See here:
http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?Keywords=DV003001

What do you guys suggest? I am doing this as a hobby, so I do not need
something too fancy (neither could I afford it as a student). I am
using the PIC16F627A for all my projects at the moment, but I think
this decvice is supported by all MicroChip programmers.

Can you recommend a programmer? Maybe based on USB?

Happy for your input.

Best whishes,
Jens