Thanks for the input you guys, I think I will go for a PicKit 3, this
sounds like a reasonable investment to me.

I had to finish a project before Christmas and I just built it with a
4MHz oscillator and /MCLR = VDD configuration to have something
working at least. When the new programmer arrives, I will be more
happy I guess :-)

Jens