On Dec 21, 6:24 pm, Jens Boos <webmas...@jb-electronics.de> wrote:
> Can you recommend a programmer? Maybe based on USB?

Apologies for late arrival at the party...

I had a pretty disastrous experience with a third party USB PIC
programmer about 6 or so years ago, and that set me off on the path of
preferring the manufacturer's own development kit. It may not be the
shiniest or have the most features, but at least you're reasonably
confident that it's going to work... And of course compatibility with
the latest chips/IDE is very likely.

So, I have a PICStart Plus which I do virtually all of my work on. I
also have a PICkit 2 which I picked up for peanuts a few years ago but
have only used once or twice. Nothing wrong with it at all and it's
definitely faster than the PICStart. However, because I do all my
project work using USB enabled PICs, I only use a programmer a few
times per project - all the actual development work is done in circuit
using the USB bootloader system. In that set-up, the PICStart is just
so easy - slam the chip in the ZIF socket, blow in the bootloader code
and then transfer to the circuit under development. You only need to
that you can't activate the bootloader.

Cheers,

Jon.