On Jan 19, 11:04 pm, David Forbes <dfor...@dakotacom.net> wrote:
> On 1/19/11 9:42 PM, will wrote:
>
> > I'm building a nixie clock based off of four IN-14 tubes (currently in
> > the mail from Russia). I'm multiplexing the tubes in groups of two, if
> > it matters much. I've read all around for recommendations on anode
> > resistor values to use, but they seem to change everywhere I go, and
> > they are all for different supplies or situations (anywhere from 33kΩ
> > on sphere's nixie tube page to around 10kΩ). Does anyone have any
> > suggestions for my particular situation? Again, I built my power
> > supply with feedback regulation, so it will be around 166-170v (that's
> > as wide as I've seen it change). My priority is longevity, followed by
> > brightness.
>
> > Also, side note, can anyone recommend an anode resistor for an A1A
> > neon lamp running off the same power supply? Those will provide
> > various symbol indicators (colon, dash, degree sign, etc).
>
> You can calculate the anode resistor value once you know thrtee things:
>
> 1. Vp  Power supply voltage
> 2. Vt  Tube sustaining voltage
> 3. Ic  Desired cathode current
>
> R = (Vp - Vt) / Ic
>
> So... what are good values for these?
>
> The makers of nixie tubes recommended at least 180V, since 160-170V is
> too low to strike the plasma consistently.
>
> You can measure the sustaining voltage by using a known value resistor
> (start with 10k ohms) and measuring the voltage across it when the tube
> is lit up. Use a variable resistor (a pot) and you can plot a curve of
> voltage vs current.
>
> For 2x multiplexing, use about 1.4 times the recommended cathode current
> for continuous use.
>
> That should get you there.
> --
> David Forbes, Tucson AZhttp://www.cathodecorner.com/
Wait... sphere's nixie page says 170V and 33k. Is 180V 10k really
reasonable?  Also, is the purpose of the anode resistor not to
decrease the voltage across the tube? Does the resistance of the tube
decrease significantly when you energize it or something?

What is a reasonable tube sustaining voltage for IN-14s? Reasonable
current?
Sorry for all the questions, this is just confusing to me.