Read the initial blurb here, around page 6:

http://www.neazoi.com/technology/logic/GE-lamps.pdf

Bill

On 1/20/2011 1:58 PM, will wrote:
Unfortunately, I've never used an old time valve regulator, a
fluorescent light tube, or a zener diode. LOL. I feel so stupid when
working with this kind of hardware...

I'm now starting to think about it like this-if a higher value
resistor is used, the current through the nixie decreases. This causes
the resistance of the nixie to go up, which means that more voltage is
dropped over the nixie, and this happens until it goes up to the
sustaining voltage (but at a lower current). If a lower value resistor
is used, more current goes through, and the resistance of the nixie
drops until the voltage over it is its sustaining voltage (at a higher
current). Is this inverse resistance-to-current relationship correct?
That would make the most sense... but again, what is the rough
sustaining voltage of the IN-14? Start-up voltage? I can set the boost
driver to pretty much whatever I want (within reason).