Yes you could do that.  Perhaps you may have a great idea and make the
code open source so all of us clock nuts can benefit.  Using a
DS3231 with the MCU also would be a fix but more hardware and higher
cost.  It would be quite easy to write the code and connect the DS3231
to the MCU and jigger the code to give you the required 60 or 1 Hz
signal....but....is it worth it?...perhaps if one had a real
collectable old TTL clock and wanted to use it to tell time...I would
just like firing it up and watching the pretty numbers...lol...:)