Thanks for the possible explanation Dieter. Does this fit with the fact
that the same tube shows the same defect on just one digit in multiple
different IN-18 clocks?

First: Note that it is NOT a defect. It is a wrong driver circuit. The mistake is made by the circuit designer, not by the tube.
Now the answer:
Yes and no.
If you try the same tube in a correct designed clock (nixiechron, or nocrotec IN-18 clocks for example) 100% no IN-18 will show a blue spot.
But, another mistake always is made with the IN-18 tubes.
This is the rated current.
To get a real high definition readout and the magic purple haze the tubes MUST be driven with 6mA, what is the REAL rated current of IN-18 tubes. And of course they should not be multiplexed. The only clocks I know ad hoc wich drive them without multiplex, without Ucc and with 6mA are the Chronotronix IN-18-V2, the Nocrotec IN-18-V3 and the soon coming clock kits: IN-18-V4 and V5. But I'm sure there are some other clocks out there.
So be careful: a blue spot means that the driver circuit IS WRONG!
Dieter