My first nixie/vfd photos were terrible. Recent attempts have been
much better. There's some great advice here already but I figured I'd
throw in my 2c. As stated you need to adjust the lighting to the level
required to correctly expose the rest of the structure and set up the
camera to correctly expose the lit segments. I used well diffused off
camera flashes for this but lamps would work too. Something like a
sheet of thin paper can be used as a makeshift diffuser in that case.
Moving the lamps to adjust the levels.

The other advice I would offer is to stop down the lens a fair way
(set a high f number) so the depth of field is as wide as you can get
it (there are limits that affect sharpness but usually it's not a
problem). This will ensure as much of the tube is in sharp pfocus as
possible. Without a flash it will probably result in a longer exposure
time so a tripod or some way to steady the camera is a good idea.

- Regards, Tristan