> I once saw a method for getting BOTH halves of the NE-2 to light up.
>
> img503. imageshack. us /img503 /4753 /neondrivetj5.gif
>
> I have never gotten it work.  Anyone have any suggestions on making it
> work right?

It attempts to derive the drive for the second transistor by phase shifting the
pulses with the capacitor.  It would tend to work well only at one frequency.
Here's the approach I use:

http://www.vitriol.com/images/tech/ne2both.gif

High input lights one side, low lights the other side, a square wave oscillates
between them.  At one hertz, this makes a nice colon indicator, hopping back
and forth visibly between the electrodes.  At a hundred hertz or higher, both
appear to be lit.  You can use a transistor as the inverter, or drive both
transistors directly from microcontroller I/O pins - if you do it that way, if
you turn both transistors on or off at the same time, the light will go out.
If one is on and one is off, you light one electrode.

- John