Although, if you are using a voltage doubler to get your HV supply, you will find that the supply sags as current increases. That's why using a voltage doubler for the nixie HV is a hassle: as you increase nixie current, HV supply voltage drops.. Use ohm's law to calculate the value of your pot and then dial it in, don't even think about using a fixed value resistor (at least, not for the first one).

-Adam W7QI