On Feb 8, 11:11 am, Nick <n...@desmith.net> wrote:
> There's a class action law suit being launched in the USA (where
> else!) claiming injury due to the mercury in tubes/valves,
> specifically rectifiers. Several "surplus"-type suppliers are
> mentioned.
>
> No-one has raised the spectre of nixies, most of which contain
> mercury. Just some joyous thing for those of you who sell them
> commercially to be aware of!
>
> "http://www.cascadesurplus.com/lawsuit/
>
> A number of popular suppliers are named in the lawsuit, including
> Antique Electronic Supply, Allied Electronics, Angela Instruments, MCM
> Electronics, VacuumTubes.com, Surplus Sales of Nebraska, and Triode
> Electronics, to name a few. Ebay had also been named a defendant, but
> they successfully moved to get dropped from the case because they do
> not manufacture vacuum tubes."
>
> Nick

Thanks Nick.
This has been circulating around the audiophool and vintage tube radio
circles for a few months now.
I'd not given any thought to the carryover to Nixie Tubes. I'd
previously seen Richardson Electronics as a defendant, and I had not
connected nixies to it.

The plaintiff (Ryan Inmann) has found himself council that would file
suit against both large (deep pocket) Corporations, and Individuals
alike.
A clear warning to never sell your homebrew hazard if you are not
personally protected by some degree of liability protection.

The plaintiff's injuries have called out a lengthy list of affected,
including humiliation and embarrassment.
I certainly would be embarrassed and humiliated (and possibly
flatulent) if I were to file and pursue a case like this.

Regards, Jeff