"So lots of schoolboys
would break open a thermometer and coat the ha'penny with the
mercury
to make it silver and pass it off as a shilling"

Hate to admit it, I was one of those boys. I was 'hero' of the class
for a short term when I showed them that trick lol, our class was
banned from having access to/use any mercury but had a friendly lab
assistant (I'm sure he was a prefect) who sold us a small jar of it.
Them were the days haha.
Dave.