I agree. I also take some exception to the idea that using rectified mains is somehow horrifically dangerous and never done in modern times. There's nothing wrong with an unisolated HV supply, provided that the case is designed in such a way that no part of the design can come in contact with a person. Mike Harrison's design is a great example. It is light, it is small.. It works well. I have clocks built that way (although I don't do it anymore) that are perfectly safe and are still in service. The biggest issue in these designs is to safely bring the wall current into the enclosure. I'd be more worried about an accidental short in the power connector (and ensuing fire) than from the rectified HV. I'd like to add that you can have this same danger even with a switching supply, if you bring the mains into your box. True, a 180v isolated supply is safer in case you touch it (it doesn't shock you as hard).. unisolated wall current could _potentially_ kill you. I think that 110v through a voltage doubler is safer than 220v rectified because the doubler will sag and there will be some current limiting. Possibly Nick lives in England, and that is why he is so concerned about the wall current? I admit that I wouldn't design a clock that was meant to plug into a 220 socket and rectify the mains either.

No matter what, getting in the habit of extreme caution when dealing with high voltage is a great idea. The lessons I've learned from getting hit with nixie HV have taught me the caution necessary to work on my tube transceiver without killing myself (the finals cage on my 500c has an 800vdc plate voltage).

-Adam W7QI