Actually there is only a definition of RMS, not subject to
"trueness" :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square

AFAIK, the old instruments that gave a true-"true RMS" output measured
the heat generated by the signal when applied to a resistor. That way
the waveform shape did not affect the measurement, and they were able
to measure with the DC component included, something fake-"True RMS"
instruments can't do.
Many of the existing instruments assume sinusoidal signals and thus
are subject to gross errors.

Gaston