Paypal will only be able to take the money back if it is still in the
account.

So, such a scam works in that he sells item.  You pay for  it.  He pulls
money out.  A month later, you realize you aren't  getting product, so you
file a claim.  Judgement is in your favor, but  unfortunately, there is no
money to get back.   So, you win, but get  nothing.

The only way to be sure is:
Transfer your money out or to your wifes account.  When you pay, have  it
pull from a credit card.  (Then your wife can refund the money back to  you -
Effectively purchasing the item with a CC instead of paypal  balance.)
After the above happens (claim, win, get nothing), you then file  a claim with
your CC company and they do a chargeback against paypal and that is  how you
get your money back.

I am speaking from Experience (not with that ebay seller).  After  getting
screwed the first time several years ago, I do the above for any larger
purchase.

This is not to say that the seller could get a tracking number on a
shipment to you with an empty box.  I have had this happen a few times as
well.
Paypal simply denied my claim, but at least I got a couple of pretty  boxes
which are empty.   Many possible scams.

Michail

In a message dated 5/17/2012 2:06:03 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,