I'm with John, if it for personal purposes, and the run is short
(<10ft/3m), you don't need to strictly adhere to the RS-232 spec. Just a
pair of transistor inverters, and label the connectors, "Mickey-Comm", and
you may just get away with 0-5V. Scope it, at your max intended baud rate,
just to make sure the signals aren't badly distorted. If tolerable, your
done, and on to the next project.