Here are the pictures:

http://www.jb-electronics.de/tmp/gl-ls-6_1.jpg
http://www.jb-electronics.de/tmp/gl-ls-6_2.jpg

Jens

Hi folks,

just a small follow-up on my first glow lamp post: I have managed to make a pinch seal using the 9mm tubing with four electrodes. The next aim is five.

It is quite easy: all you need is very small glass tubing. Just stretch 9mm tubing, and if you do it fast enough (and carefully, of course) you get very nice small tubes with diameters below 1mm. Then I just cut these to pieces of 20mm and insert a Dumet wire each and heat it up with a small handheld torch. Then I align four of these wires and use a small portion of glass to glue them together. Then comes the pinching process which is not so critical if you have ensured all the four wires stick together good. Will document that on my website soon.

So now I have a glow lamp with four more or less parallel wires... Could you call that a Nixie tube? ;-)

Jens

I also want to try to make evacuation pipe in stem, but there will be too many wires, how do You solve the problem of wires on the place of the pipe? I cant see that detail on your photo..
I'm curious too - that's a lot of wires for a pinch seal.

Do You think that original industry made nixies used photo-etched numbers and anode mesh? Or it was stamped? You found a layouts or finished 5 and 7? This is a part of mosaic what I still miss :-)
Instead of starting with existing nixies, I've been playing with generating cathode graphics using computer fonts. This one is just a test, I'd probably want to use
a lighter typeface for real nixie cathodes:

http://www.vitriol.com/images/tech/nixies/cathodes.gif

- John