"accelerated" by Dalibor I tried my photolitography devices. It's very good, even using first time! It isn't simple technology but I'm very glad. In the second picture you have anode of nixie tube prepared from template of polish tube type LC513. Unfortunatelly I had old
photosensitive lacquer and thick metal plate (0.2 mm).

www.tubedevices.com/alek/pwl/lc1d/fotolito.jpg
www.tubedevices.com/alek/pwl/lc1d/fotolito1.jpg

Best regards
Alek

it is not so easy, the total surface of each digit should be constant to
achieve constant current and constant brightness of each digit (else You will
have to struggle with resistors on cathodes..). Bigger number = higher current..
While this is true, it isn't an absolute.  Existing nixies have different currents for
different digits (particularlay "1").  Since they're more-or-less constant
voltage devices, the anode resistor tends to even out the different current
draws.  Running nixies from higher voltages with larger anode resistors
helps with this (at the cost of efficiency).  Some designs actually use current
regulation instead of anode resistors, and these will tend to overdrive
the smaller digits slightly.

That said, it would be simple enough to write code to adjust the digit stroke
thicknesses to achieve matching total areas.  Note that in some nixies,
the "1" digit is made with a double stroke to help with this.

And I also like the retro look of original digits ;-)
That is a perfectly valid reason.  If I were going to clone a nixie, I'd choose
the CD-66 with its particularly nice digit shapes.

However, if I'm making my own nixies, I'd be interested in making them visibly
distinct from existing ones.  If I want a CD-66, I
can just go buy one (unless I want a CD-66 with 30mm digits).  If I want a
nixie with Böcklin or Klingon digits, I'll have to make
my own.

There's also a mechanical consideration - thicker digits will be more rigid and
stable, and should survive longer.  However,
this thickness can be in material thickness or stroke width.

Once I have working tube (as close as possible to original) I can play and
change things inside..
Absolutely.  Coming up with digit shapes is likely not the most difficult
problem in making nixies.

Have You made something working with mentioned digit graphics?
Not as of yet.  My original plan was to photoetch them, but I just heard from
someone who's making custom variable
capacitor plates, and has access to a water jet cutter.

I've been pricing the little ceramic rings used as insulating digit separators,
and they're expensive, so now I'm thinking
of glass and mica as alternatives.

- John