On 12/6/12 10:53 PM, Michel wrote:
I wonder what is the best way to test nixie tubes to be fairly sure
they will work just fine.

I encountered a few issues, but this one is new to me. I had tested a
tube and made sure all segments would work. I put them into my circuit
and after a while noticed my number 2 digit didn't light up anymore. I
thought it would be a bad connection although I couldn't see anything.
I am using cathode side transistors so I soldered 2 digits together
and expected both of them to light up at the same time, but actually,
neither of them would light up. So I am thinking there is a short
between the cathode of number 2 digit and the anode. I took the tube
out, measure with an ohm meter and measure 1.6k ohm!! That explained
the problem, but how can that happen?

Michel

It happens now and then with 5870s. I've seen several tube problems that turn up only after the watch is built and run for a few days.

The inter-electrode clearance inside these tubes is rather small, so shorts can happen.

I don't think there's any way to test for such problems in advance. That's why I use sockets for the tubes in my watches.

--
David Forbes, Tucson AZ