> When I was investigating this a while back, I spent some time here:

For the record, whilst I get most of my PCBs done at www.oshpark.com, for
larger boards that would otherwise be too costly, or for simple boards I
just need in a hurry, I use positive photoresist.

I use ammonium persulphate as an etchant; what ferric chloride doesn't
attack, it stains; filthy, messy, stuff. Ammonium (or sodium) persulphate
*much* nicer to work with (I use a bubble etch tank.)