On Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:10:44 PM UTC+10:30, mikegregg wrote:

> I switched to sodium/potassium persulfate a while back myself. It was a
> good switch. Just make sure it's nice and warm. I typically heat mine to
> 110-120f before I start etching. The higher heat makes for cleaner traces,
> and a faster etch.

I have a Kinsten etching tank - heat and aeration are courtesy of aquarium
parts. But, yes, persulphates need to be warm unless you want REAL slow
etching!

One other note on persulphates - ammonium persulphate is very hygroscopic.
I had a 2.5kg tub, which I found to be useless when I went to it the other
week. Whilst the tub itself was polypropylene, the lid was made of some
other plastic that had decided to crack in the Australian heat and let in
the moisture. The result - a nasty slush that couldn't etch anything. I
believe that the sodium/potassium salts don't have this problem, so would
tend to favour them in future.

Final word on that - not only do the persulphates not attack/stain
everything like ferric chloride, but you can actually SEE through them
whilst the etch is going on - which I consider to be a big plus.