If any of you are designing your own nixie clock, and cant decide if you
should use an internal crystal oscillator or the AC line, you might be
surprised at the long-term accuracy of your electricity provider.
My homebrew 6-tube nixie clock uses the 60Hz line-frequency for counting,
and it's basically maintained the same time my cellphone receives over the
network. Yes, there are day-to-day variations of + or - a few seconds, but
they cancel-out. A simple RC low-pass filter (mine is about 300Hz
corner-frequency) will prevent line-glitches from cumulatively speeding-up
your clock.