Hey John,

That parts wall reminds me of how Radio Shack use to look. I recent years
(at least 10, maybe 20) they keep most of their parts in metal cabinets.
Only a small percentage of their parts, is still stocked on the wall.

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 8:26:47 PM UTC-8, jrehwin wrote:

> ...however, I go to my local Radio Shack.  Which is *very* local - the one
> in the town where I used to live went out of business and I bought most of
> their carded stock on the cheap, and hung it up on pegboard in my back
> room:
>
> http://www.vitriol.com/images/house/partswall.jpg
>
> If I need a common part at three in the morning, there's nothing like
> being able to just grab one without even having to leave my house!
>
> - John

I can't really add to much more to this discussion, other than I
personally, buy from all them (Mouser, Digikey, Newark, and Jameco). Never
knew about the haggling part though. Newark, though, does run sales on
certain parts. On my last buy from them, I bought small capacitors for ~1.5
cents each, for any quantity. At Mouser, this part usually runs ~5 cents,
in quantities of 100.

And for being a pack rat, and stores that closed:

<https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yLUaror0RD8/UopLwtkvnpI/AAAAAAAAMIw/9GJYZz1zX9I/s1600/Xfmrss.jpg>

I bought that transformer, while the Olson chain was still in Business.
They closed ~1980, or so.