I know the difference between a nixie and a VFD tube but I have to say that
your explanation is very nice to summarize all the loose bits of
information in my head.

So If I have a 6 volt supply for my four filaments (in series) I would not
need a resistor. I think the 7806 won't get that warm with roughly 400ma
going through it but I can always take a simple switching psu for it or
attach it to my (metal) enclosure. I will simply use a DC filament supply
then to keep things simple (this project is going to be complicated
enough).

My only remaining concern is the driving method, I would like to order all
my parts off ebay and/or tayda electronics. Places like mouser etc have (in
my opinion) ridiculous shipping rates so I would like to avoid them.
Another point is that the max6921 costs around 6-7 dollar a piece +1 euro
for a plcc socket, I am trying to keep the costs down a bit. So a method to
avoid using these drivers is preferred.

HV5812: cheap but shipping costs are 40-50 dollar
MAX6921 expensive and/or high shipping costs