For any diameter of enamel-coated wire larger than a strand of hair, the
burnt enamel should be removed to expose the copper. Otherwise solder
wetting will be poor and the soldering process frustrating.
You can do this using fine sandpaper, a file, or a sharp knife. Burning the
enamel first makes removal easier. For thin wires the soldering iron is
adequate. Larger diameters require a lighter. Even large diameters a small
blowtorch. Tin the wire prior to soldering using a generous amount of flux.
This will also show you if you did a good job scrapping off the burnt
enamel.

Alex