> One of the IN-18s in my Nixichron has started to fail. I don't know if it's
> cathode poisoning or some other failure mode.
>
> In the 10's hours position, several of the digits are not lighting
> completely, they are dark toward the bottom of the tube, probably the bottom
> 1/3 of the numeral.

Sounds like cathode poisoning.

>  This happened rather suddenly, or at least I only noticed it recently. The
> "1" digit is fine, and that's what is lit most of the time. The other digits
> only come into play during display of the GPS coordinates every 1/4 hour. As
> they scroll across the clock, I can see the bad digits.

Yeah, cathode poisoning happens when not all the digits are used enough.

> I do have a couple spare tubes, but they have no hours on them. I'll try one
> to be certain it's just the tube. But I'd actually like to find a used tube,
> something with several years worth of use on it, so the brightness will be a
> better match.

It's worth trying to depoison that one.  The easy way is to swap it with one of
the other digits that gets used more evenly.  The quick way is to run those
other digits for a bit a higher-than-normal current until they light fully
again.

- John