Yep, this exactly happened to me. A tube suddenly started having problems lighting some digits. Then eventually it stopped working altogether.

I caused it because I was swapping the tubes too much. The repeated removal/insertions caused the tube to leak at the pins.

I still want to rotate the tubes, but I need to come up with a surrogate socket so I can swap the tubes without stressing the pins.

-Dan