Those UV LEDs generate a LOT of UV.  I use one as a color tester for my
neon shop (most colors of neon tubing look white when off).  Glad you
didn't hurt your eyes.  Problem is, the glass is opaque to UV.

If you don't mind spending the money you can reactivate the tubes.  One
can buy a microcurie of Cs-137 without a license.  It can be had epoxied
to the head of a pin.  1uCi is more than enough to strike a couple of
tubes.  Position the source in an inconspicuous place between two tubes
and it'll work for both of them.  Cs-137 emits a good healthy 661keV
gamma ray that will easily penetrate the glass and cause bunches of
secondary electrons.

I just tried this using a 30 year old source (down to half a uCi) on a
flickering neon bulb on some old test equipment.  I just held the source
against the plastic lens and the lamp glow went steady.

The only downside is that a pin source will run you about $60.  If
anyone is interested in this route, I'll dig up some names of some
suppliers.

John

--
John DeArmond