  From: Dman777
  To: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2014 11:48 AM
  Subject: [neonixie-l] Nixie Clock Cool Project- a few questions

  I have a 6 digit Nixie ZM5660 clock that I got from pvelectronics that is
beautiful and super cool. Everything is perfect about it. However, since it is
multiplexed there is one spot that has a very high concentration of heat. I
want to place a fan underneath the clock to draw out this hot air, otherwise
the life of the clock will not be as long as it will without the heat.

  I will be taking dremel and drilling a large area underneath the case and
placing a fan against the case surface(outside of the case) to draw out the hot
air. I will then wire the 12v fan to the power supply connectors. When done, I
will be placing the clock case on two blocks so there will be about 3 inches of
area between the bottom of the clock(with the fan) and the shelf it sits on. I
addition, I will drill some small holes for cool air intake on the sides and on
top.

  A few questions come to mind, please:

  1) The case is only 3/4 of inch deep. Should I go for a 2 inch fan or 1 inch
fan? Typically, a 2 inch fan will draw more heat out. But since there will only
be able 3/8" of space between the fan and circuit board, I am not sure which
would be more effective in drawing heat out.

  2) The source of heat is in the center middle of the clock. If I place the
middle of the fan directly underneath the heat concentration, will that heat
just sit since it won't be above the blades but instead above the rotor? Should
the fan be off center to the actual heat concentration?

  3) I would like a fan with a good ratio of not to loud but move enough heat
out. Not sure which would be a good cfm.

  4) I don't understand why, the heat concentration is in the dead center of
the clock, but the source of what I think is the source of the heat...the 7805
voltage regulator... is of to the side of the source of the heat concentration
area.

  5) Do I need to worry about trace erosion from air flow and friction? On my
old Xbox I had the fan running high in it and one of the traces eroded.

  Here are some of the fans(Would like to stick with ball bearing) I have been
looking at. I am big fan of Sunon:
  1 inch:

http://www.jameco.com/1/1/2967-kde1203pfb2-8-ms-dc-brushless-tubeaxial-fan-bearing-type-ball.html

  http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_1708465_-1

  2 inch:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?refineValue=Ball&refineType=1&langId=-1&position=1&productId=1950446&refine=1&catalogId=10001&history=6fqaemmj%7CsubCategoryName~DC%2BBrushless%2BFans%5Ecategory~3715%5EcategoryName~cat_37%5EprodPage~15%5Epage~SEARCH%252BNAV%401bnairch%7Ccategory~371530%5EcategoryName~cat_3715%5Eposition~1%5Erefine~1%5EsubCategoryName~DC%2BBrushless%2BFans%2B%252F%2B2.00%2522%2B%252850mm%2529%5EprodPage~15%5Epage~SEARCH%252BNAV%40dnogx9g3%7CrefineValue~SUNON%5ErefineType~1%5Eposition~1%5Esub_attr_name~Manufacturer%5Erefine~1%5EprodPage~15%5Epage~SEARCH%252BNAV&sub_attr_name=Bearing&storeId=10001&ddkey=http:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

  Thanks,
  -Darin