My first question is “How hot is it?”  If you can keep your finger on it,
it is probably OK, but you should use a thermometer instead of just saying
“hot”.

My prejudice is that the only likely sources of excessive heat are the 7805
and the cpu, but they are both too far away.  The only components I see in
the area are the two resistors; if one or both are the incorrect values
(probably too low) they could be dissipating a lot of heat.  Check the
color codes against the schematic, or get out your handy dandy ohmmeter (if
you don’t already have one, digital multimeters are cheap at Harbor
Freight).

I don’t think it is the heat source, but you can replace the 7805 with a
pin-compatible switching mode regulator, available for less than $10 from
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Terminal-5V-1A-Switching-Voltage-Regulator-Power-Supply-/261243604047?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd3550c4f