Hi,

Dman777 wrote:
> 4) I don't understand why, the heat concentration is in the dead center of
> the clock, but the source of what I think is the source of the heat...the
> 7805 voltage regulator... is of to the side of the source of the heat
> concentration area.

The 7805 only powers the electronics, which I expect draws very little
current, so the regulator will remain cool.

I think the heat source might be the MOSFET in the switching power
supply for the nixie voltage. Unfortunately it's the rather common, but
not very good MC34063-based design, you can see the schematic in the kit
instructions here:
<http://www.pvelectronics.co.uk/kits/LTC1040/LTC1040_v5.pdf>. They use
an IRFD220 MOSFET which has way too high R_DS,on for this application IMHO.

If you don't want to replace the MOSFET (which wouldn't look too good as
I don't think you will find a better replacement with the same
footprint), having a fan blow air onto it might indeed be a good idea if
you can stand the noise.

Best Regards,
Arne