I get your point, Greg, and I've designed and built several clocks, I know
exactly how rewarding it is. I've been a PCB designer for over 20 years, so
my point is, and it's not obvious I guess..... that the PCB design is not
the challenge. I've got more PCB designs under my belt than most designers
will ever tackle, including a couple of my own one-off nixie clocks. This
time I want to buy a board, or a kit, and design a case around it. Yet I am
fussy about the clock function, hence my list of requirements earlier. A
few recent experiments into wood and metal working has me wanting to
stretch my skills in that dimension. I see some IN-18 kits starting around
$100 out there, so there is a certain logic in buying another's proven
design. NIH (not invented here) is not an issue with me, my ego won't be
bruised if I buy this time, rather than design.